Advanced ContractingTo get on our advanced contracting list (late July/early August), please complete the below.
Special Enrollment Period
You can enroll in or change Marketplace health insurance plans through August 15, 2021.
More people than ever before will qualify for help paying for health coverage, even those who weren’t eligible in the past.
There’s a new Special Enrollment Period for the COVID-19 public health emergency. You can enroll in or change Marketplace health insurance plans through August 15, 2021.
- Start an application or log in to update an existing one.
- Before you apply, you can preview 2021 plans and prices. Answer a few questions to see plans and estimated prices based on your income.
- If you have a qualifying life event or are eligible for Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), you can apply any time.
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) created guidelines for a new kind of marketplace for health insurance.
What are exchanges?
Exchanges are online marketplaces where consumers can go to shop for health insurance. On these sites, consumers can compare the plans available to them and then purchase online. The official name has been changed from “Exchange” to “Marketplace.”
Who creates and maintains the exchanges?
• Each state has the option to create and operate its own exchange.
• If the state opts not to offer an exchange, a federal exchange will be available.
• Outside of the government, private exchanges may also exist.
Who can shop on an exchange?
The federal and state-based exchanges, for those states that choose to participate, will be available for small employers and individuals shopping for health insurance. Visit our exchange timeline to learn more about other dates key to the development and operation of exchanges.
Do exchanges help address the cost of health insurance?
For individuals who meet certain criteria, two new elements can help make health insurance affordable for them:
• Tax credits
What kind of plans will be available on an exchange?
To participate on an exchange, health plans will need to meet specific criteria. While some of these are still being defined, here are the basics:
• Essential health benefits
• Network requirements
• Qualified health plan
• Coverage levels